Electricity is central to our lives, most particularly our lives at home. Experience a power outage to see how integral electricity is to the running of our day-to-day lives. Though a simple flip of a switch often turns the power on to a light, electronic, or appliance, electricity is anything but simple. While some electrical projects can be left to do-it-yourselfers, the majority of electrical projects and services need to be in the hands of professionals. There are many ways a professional electrician can add value to your home life and take care of so many electrical needs. Please contact Welch’s in Andover, KS, and one of our expert licensed professionals will be happy to answer any questions you may have.
Energy-Efficient Electrical Upgrades
Saving money and leaving a smaller global footprint are both smart goals for any homeowner. One way to achieve both of these goals simultaneously is with energy-efficient electrical upgrades. Upgrading by replacing existing electrical appliances or installing new energy-efficient electrics are both valuable decisions. Stumped as to where to even begin? Here are some places to look:
- Lighting––Install (both indoor and outdoor) Energy Star-rated light dimmers, light timers, motion sensors, occupancy sensors, photosensors, and electric lights instead of gas lights (or convert existing gas to electric). Also making use of daylighting (utilizing more natural light instead of electrical light) is a very-cost effective method of upgrading your energy-efficient usage of electricity.
- Energy-efficient electrical appliances (Energy Star rated)––Upgrade to or purchase for new-construction energy-efficient appliances. If they have an energy-efficiency rating, many major appliances, such as water heaters, washers, dryers, refrigerators, heat pumps, air conditioners, dishwashers, and electric stoves/ovens, can make a drastic impact on your home’s energy efficiency. In both an upgrade and new-construction purchase, be sure your home’s wiring is adequate for your intended purchase.
- Electricity usage monitor––Utilize one of these monitors to measure the electricity usage of any electrical appliance running on 120 volts. This can help you determine when and if it’s time to upgrade to a more energy-efficient model or time to call in a qualified professional to assist in upgrading your home’s wiring. (There are also online formulas to be found that will calculate your home’s energy consumption and costs. These are valuable as well when contemplating electrical upgrades.)
- Light bulbs––Change your traditional incandescent bulbs to halogen incandescents, compact fluorescent lamps (CFLs), and light-emitting diodes (LEDs). Upgrading will save you money as these bulbs typically use about 25 to 80 percent less energy than the traditional incandescents, and they can last three to 25 times longer.
- Advanced power strips––Upgrade your standard power strips for advanced power strips. The appliances and electronics you have plugged in to the standard ones most likely are allowing a generous waste of electricity when these appliances and electronics aren’t in use. This simple upgrade can save you both energy and money per year.
- Lighting, both indoor and outdoor
- Dimmers, timers, and motion sensors
- Hard-to-reach lightbulbs and smoke detectors
- Light-fixture installations or upgrades
- Loose wall switches and socket repair
- Circuit breaker panel upgrade, inspection, or repairs (a typical panel lasts 25 to 40 years)
- Whole-house surge protection
- Remodel rewiring
- Ground fault circuit interrupter (GFCI) and arc fault circuit interrupter (AFCI) installation
- Electrical safety inspection, e.g., inspect and/or test service panels, ground systems, main service cables, GFCI receptacles, smoke detectors
Electrical Services and Repairs
As mentioned above, there are a few electrical projects that can safely be tackled by a homeowner. That said, it’s always a safer course to consult with a professional electrician to perform any electrical service or repair. Electricity is nothing to leave to chance. Call Welch’s at 316-773-1600 to set up a consultation in your home or to answer any questions you may have. Whether it’s an upgrade or new-construction project, the following are some of the most common electrical services and repairs that homeowners explore. However, this list is by no means comprehensive, and you should definitely contact a professional if the project you have in mind isn’t listed here:
Need Electrical Service?
Call Us at 316-733-1600
- or -
Whether you own an historic home in need of all new wiring or you’ve been thinking about upgrading to accommodate the energy-efficient appliances and high-tech electronics you’re going to be splurging on, there are some things to keep in mind when rewiring your entire home:
New-construction electrical projects require a team of contractors working together. No one works in a vacuum in new construction. There are time lines and budgets to adhere to, and without everyone working together, these are rarely adequately met. From the beginning to the end of a build, our professional electricians will interact as team members, bringing their experience and knowledge to the project. Whether it’s building a new garage, adding on an extra room, or building your dream home, our knowledgeable professionals can handle all the electrical needs. Call Welch’s to talk about your project and how we can help.
Emergency Electrical Services
When an emergency arises, you need a quick response, especially when it comes to electricity. Do not attempt to address the emergency yourself, call us. Whether it’s on a weekend or in the middle of the night, you need to be able to count on reaching a professional. Our expert electricians can be reached 24/7 and are prepared to help you in any electrical situation. They’re ready for most electrical emergencies, ranging from sparking fuseboxes, outlets, and breaker panels to refrigerators/freezers defrosting, and they carry a wide variety of parts with them.
Though no one can predict an emergency, many times electrical emergencies can be prevented. Electrical safety inspections are one such method of prevention. Inspections can detect problems as they’re beginning and can ward off potential disasters. Take the preventive step now to get your home inspected, so you won’t be caught in an electrical emergency.
Electrical Repair in Wichita, KS 67208
“Met these professionals a few times at home shows and in their office! When we needed them for our furnace, I called. Kenneth came out and his helper Cory showed up. They put in a new motor to keep our furnace happy and performing well. Very considerate especially with us keeping our home shoe free and stayed on our drop cloths. Great personality and trusted them completely. Will have them out for our Spring check! Thanks, Welch's!!!”
– Sheila C.
Welch's Heating & Air is proud to offer HVAC services to Wichita, Andover, Augusta, Towanda, El Dorado, Rose Hill, Douglas, Derby, Haysville, Goddard and the surrounding communities. Call us at 316-733-1600 or request service online today!